Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

29 Elul: Plan or The year of no excuses

Plans are foiled for lack of counsel, but they are established through many advisers. - 

A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord prepares his step. - Mishlei (Proverbs) Chapter 16

For I know the thoughts that I think about you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. -  Jeremiah Chapter 29

So here we are, one more post for the year 5773 and just before Rosh Hashanah.

For many reasons, it is starting to feel that this is going to be a time of no excuses.  I have made excuses for so long:

I'm not creative, I'm impatient, I am a stay at home mom, I don't have time, I don't have energy, I don't have motivation...

I'm better than excuses.  I want to live a meaningful life, and I also want to live a beautiful life.  I want to feel beautiful and I want to make our home beautiful.

I took a step.  I've decided to stop dressing so frumpy and start making the outside a bit prettier.  I'm going to do the 30 for 30 outfit challenge.

I've also signed up for my Hebrew class which has already started.

I want to read a book a month (this was also last year's goal, time to reset it).

I am going to go to Shul and aim for twice a month.

I've decided to stop just Pinning cute crafts on Pinterest.  I'm actually going to make some of them.  One a month or maybe every second month.  I figure holidays will bring on a couple of extra.  (Or I could be super organized and do them much earlier).

I'm going to use that feeling of my blood boiling as cue.  I am very aware of it, and I know I feel like screaming (and admittedly, sometimes I do), I need to let it go.  I've found the Orange Rhino, which is focused on parenting, but I think can be applied to any reason for losing one's temper.  I will pick ten strategies (she has 100!).

I want to develop my creativity.  I think doing some crafts can help, but I need to work on my own creativity.  I am going to use a journal and a random generator.  I'm not sure if I can do it daily.  Maybe aim for 1-2 a week.  (Maybe that will be my next 30 day challenge hardy har har).

I will go to my JWRP alumni classes and listen to one other lecture a week, whether it's going to my Rebbetzin's class or an online lecture.

I will exercise again.  I'm not sure what that will look like yet, but somehow I will get this body of mine moving.

My list may seem ambitious, the fact is, I AM a stay at home mom with a toddler.  A big chunk of my day is watching my son play.  So maybe sitting with him with crayons and a journal is a good way to spend some of the day.  Or working on a craft.  Or reading 2 pages of a book (or one page!).  My Hebrew class is set for Thursday evenings, after my son goes to bed.  The biggest chunk of time will be the alumni classes, since it's usually 2-3 hours of the evening.  Shul is on Shabbat, and it is better than just sitting at home.  Outfits, well, I do have to get dressed in the morning.

I will be thrilled if I manage even part of any of these goals.  If it means that I've read more books over the course of the year, have a few pages with colour in my journal and a couple of funky crafts decorating the house, it will mean I tried.  I may only make it to Shul once a month and that's ok.  There  may be weeks when I revert back to plain t-shirts/white shells and that's ok too.  They key is to keep trying and reset and refocus when necessary.

I will stop making excuses, get off my tuchus and with G-d's help make some things happen.

Thank you for reading and following along.  Most of the translations for the Torah (Bible) quotes came from Chabad.org.

May the new year be sweet and filled with joy, good health, peace and prosperity.

Shanah Tovah

from http://blogs.rj.org/george/files/2012/09/rh2012-1-george.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment